Search This Blog

Friday, September 13, 2013

The Abiline Paradox

The Abilene Paradox introduced by management expert Jerry B. Harvey stems from a family outing originating in Coleman, Texas.
Downtow Coleman
The father-in-law interrupts a game of dominoes by suggesting that the family take a 53-mile trip to Abilene for dinner. Jerry's wife says, "Sounds like a great idea." Jerry, despite reservations about the long, hot drive in a broken-down, unairconditioned car agrees with the suggestion. The mother-in-law replies, "That's a great idea. I haven't been to Abilene in a long time."
Abilene Cafeteria
Following a terrible meal in a downtown Abilene cafeteria, the family arrives back home after four hot, dusty hours spent in a sputtering jalopy.
The mother-in-law confesses that she had rather have stayed at home but went along  because she didn't want to disagree with the others. Jerry then said, "I really didn't want to go either, but I didn't want to disappoint the group." Jerry's wife said, "I just went along to keep everybody happy. I certainly didn't want to ride in that Texas heat." The father-in-law then replied, "I didn't want to go either. I just suggested it because I thought everyone was bored."
Moral: Don't agree to something you don't want to do. You might get caught on a dusty Texas road bound for nowhere.




No comments:

Post a Comment