Search This Blog

Thursday, September 19, 2013

Blue Sky Messages


Over four decades ago I was on the verge of flunking out of medical school. One bright blue day I left the administrative building of the University of Texas Medical Branch in Galveston worrying about my miserable grades.  
Morosely trying to decide what to do with my woebegone life I suddenly felt and heard a wet plop on my head. Looking up I realized that a pigeon had left me a message: "Stop that steadily depressing, low down, mind messing, working-at-the-car-wash blues." 
The pigeon’s intervention became a turning point. I stopped worrying and started studying. The improved attitude turned my grades and my career around.  
Feeling miserable? Find some pigeons. Maybe you'll get a transforming message. 

1 comment:

  1. What a form for a message from on high! Sometimes a burning bush, sometimes a bird dropping aimed just right. I'm glad you got the message. I aspire also to be open to those kinds of messages, delivered every day, offering a new window on the world.
    Bill H

    ReplyDelete