Search This Blog

Friday, August 9, 2013

Putting Love Into Practice

In his autobiography, Out of My Life and Thought, Albert Schweitzer wrote that after deciding to enjoy the academic life until he was 30-years old he would devote the rest of his life "to the direct service of humanity." For nine years Schweitzer dedicated himself to scholarship becoming a respected theologian, an accomplished organist, and an authority on Johann Sebastian Bach.

While enjoying his academic career, Schweitzer considered several options for direct service to others. He attempted to take care of abandoned or neglected children, but failed because of government rules and regulations. He discovered that his attempts to help "tramps and discharged prisoners" frustrated him because of their lies and excuse making. In helping poor families he realized that his best intentions required collaboration with organizations. Schweitzer wanted to help people in a situation that was free as possible from bureaucratic entanglements. One evening in the autumn of 1904 while putting aside a magazine so that he could return to his academic work, his eye caught the title of an article, "The Needs of the Congo Missions." His search was over, but problems ensued when his intentions became known:

My relatives and my friends all joined in expostulating with me on the folly of my enterprise. I was a man, they said, who was burying the talent entrusted to him and wanted to trade with false currency. Work among savages I ought to leave to those who would not thereby be compelled to leave gifts and requirements in science and art unused.

What seemed to my friends the most irrational thing in my plan was that I wanted to go to Africa, not as a missionary, but as a doctor, and thus when already thirty years of age burdened myself with a long period of laborious study. And that this study would mean for me a tremendous effort, I had no manner of doubt. I did, in truth, look forward to the next few years with dread. I wanted to be a doctor, however, that I might be able to work without having to talk. For years I had been giving myself out in words and it was with joy that I had followed the calling of theological teacher and of preacher, but with this new form of activity I wanted to put love into practice.


No comments:

Post a Comment