Search This Blog

Monday, April 27, 2015

Bringing Balance to Life: Born Again


After telling my pastor that I didn't think I had been saved, he suggested I attend a Walk to Emmaus Retreat, a weekend Christian Conference. On Saturday afternoon, October 31, 1992, the conference attendees had communion whereby we were to break bread throwing the portion representing our biggest sin into a basket while partaking in the other portion. I sauntered haughtily toward the communion table expecting nothing from the sin I would discard---pride. Upon tossing pride in the basket I became overwhelmed with love, joy and peace so intense that I sobbed with gratitude. Jesus was there: I saw him, heard his voice, felt his presence.

Do we need an epiphany to be born again? Of course not. Many have a quieter experience. A sermon, a lecture, a book, a friend's example may turn some lives toward God. A few recall no time without God. Christianity gradually sneaks up on others. Rebirth is more than a feeling.
  • First we must realize that compared to God's holiness we have fallen short, we have sinned---pride, envy, anger, laziness, greed, piggishness, and lust---are the cardinal seven. 
  • We turn away from the mess we have made of our lives. Recognizing that we have hurt others, failed ourselves, neglected God engenders deep sorrow. Repentance without sorrow is hollow. 
  • We turn to God. We step off the cliff of self-sufficiency into the loving arms of Jesus. That fearful step takes faith, a belief that our lives can be more loving, joyful, and peaceful with God.
Does that step of faith insure that we will have a life as pure as falling snow? No. We'll drift. The fog of life---doubt, discouragement, diversion, defeat, delay---will cloud our progress. We will continue to sin. 

I often  put family and work ahead of God. I worship false idols: A red Jaguar comes to mind. I lust: Women still make my testosterone bubble. Money---How much do I want? Just a little more. Prideful thoughts---the most destructive of sins---detour my Christian walk.

Nonetheless, I am certain of my life's purpose and assured of eternal assignments. Prayer, the scriptures, Bible fellowship, and church get me on the right path again. 

I know this: Despite our transgressions God desires to overflow our cups with love, joy, and peace. God loves all of us and calls us to share our lives with him. Without God our lives are unbalanced. Rebirth provides stability---a firm foundation built on love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. 




No comments:

Post a Comment