Search This Blog

Monday, February 25, 2019

When Someone Offends Us

A friend of mine, Chad Thompson, MD, gave me these two ways of responding to offensive words. 

When someone offends us we can:

  • Tell others about it.
  • The listener begins to think less of my offender (and/or less of me).
  • They join me in thinking negatively about my offender.
  • I have succeeding in creating division in relationships; making myself more upset by rehashing the details over and over; and knowing and willfully disobeying God's will by reacting according to the flesh rather than to the spirit.
OR when someone offends us we can:
  • Go directly to God in prayer.
  • God listens and the Holy Spirit gives me a better perspective.
  • I feel peace! And the impulse to vent to others is gone.
  • I have honored God by valuing unity and harmony over dissension, discord and the temporary pleasure of gossiping. 

No comments:

Post a Comment