Search This Blog

Monday, January 28, 2019

A Childlike Mind

Last week I wrote that Holes was one of my favorite movies. My most favorite movie of all time is The Princess Bride. 

Those who enjoy these type movies would have to have, I think, a childlike mind--a mind that is innocent, naive, open, nonjudgemental, frolicsome. I don't know. Because that sounds like someone who would like science fiction that I find boring.

I could care less who wins between Superman and Batman; who avenged who, and what tape will self-destruct in five seconds. My grandchildren were gobsmacked when I went to sleep in the last Star-Wars especially since the sound never dropped below 120 decibels throughout the movie.  It certainly doesn't seem like I have a childlike mind if you have to like one of those shows to qualify.

So I can't tell you why I enjoy The Princess Bride so much, but I do. Maybe it's because of all the memorable one liners:

  • Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father! Prepare to die!
  • As you wish.
  • Inconceivable!
  • Never get involved in a land war in Asia.
  • I'm not a witch. I'm your wife.
  • Mawidge. That bwessed awangement!
  • I love you was what it was but you never heard.
  • There have been five great kisses since 1642 B.C. And the precise rating of kisses is a terribly difficult thing, often leading to great controversy... Well, this one left them all behind. 
  • When I was your age, television was called books.
  • Do I love you? My God, if your love were a grain of sand, mine would be a universe of beaches.
  • Her heart was a secret garden and the walls were very high (In the book, not the movie.)
  • True love is the best thing in the world, except for cough drops. (Book.)
  • Cynics are simply thwarted romantics. (Book).
  • The Pit of Despair
  • Get used to disappointment.
  • Sonny, true love is the greatest thing in the world except for a nice MLT--mutton, lettuce and tomato sandwich. 
  • They're kissing again. Do we have to read the kissing parts?
  • Have fun storming the castle.
  • It'll take a miracle.
  • You seem a decent fellow. I hate to kill you.
  • You seem a decent fellow. I hate to die.
  • Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
  • It's not my fault being the biggest and the strongest. I don't even exercise.
  • We face each other as God intended. Sportsmanlike. No tricks, no weapons, skill against skill.
  • You mean you put down your rock and I'll put sown my sword and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people.
  • You have a great gift for rhyme.
If you haven't seen the movie the above quotes probably mean absolutely nothing to you. If you have seen the movie (or read the book) I may have left out your favorite. 

Either way may you live long and prosper. Oops wrong movie. 





No comments:

Post a Comment