Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Sonnet One



I was in a tender mood to write a word of encouragement so I decided to write a sonnet. 

Bad mistake.  

Sonnet writing poses great difficulties. If the "poet" is a little off the poem is corny, banal, cloying, mawkish, schmaltzy, soppy. You get the point. If you don't just read Sonnet I and you will understand what I mean.

Attempting to get the rhyme scheme--ABAB CDCD EFEF GG--stretched my mind so severely that a headache appeared unannounced and unexpected. (I hardly ever have a headache.) 

Rhyming ruined my quest for iambic pentameter. 

I, who knows nothing about poetry, believe iambic pentameter is much more important than rhyming. 

My opinion: a poem without a beat is written by an amateur. Or if there is a beat that goes on and on and then the beat is missed for a verse or two--ugg. 

Another opinion: Free verse is like playing tennis without a net. Now this statement will have John Chiardi rise up from the grave and Michael Myers me. 

I certainly have a lot of opinions for someone who knows nothing about poetry. (And for someone who can't write a sonnet.) 

Although my sonnet makes Dick and Jane a Pulitzer Prize contender, I spent so much time on it (about three hours) that I entered it here. 

As Hemingway said--and I paraphrase:"never throw away anything you write and use it as many times as you can." 

Sonnet I

Tragic time has taught me thus to ruminate
That ruin will come and take our peace away.
Hungry ocean, raging river dost life eliminate.  
No one can stop wreckful winds that storm the day.

Lofty towers lie twisted on swampy ground.
The unfled, those poor and ag'ed, endure despair
As polluted waters their homes doth surround
Knees bow, tongues confess in humble prayer.

With each breath breathed fortitude inspires
Courageous confidence in our God omnipotent.
For faith, hope and love with us he shares
Fortifying assurance in his kingdom infinite.

His sweet grace remember’d such faith brings 
That we seek permanence in him, the eternal King.
      

No comments:

Post a Comment