Search This Blog

Thursday, July 18, 2013

Vacation Time Ignored By Many

Research clearly demonstrates that an annual vacation cuts risks of diseases by 20-30%.  
Unfortunately, more than one-third of Americans fail to use their full vacation times. They continue to work instead of vacationing. Of those who do take full time away from their regular jobs, much of their vacation time is spent on activities other than rest and relaxation:
  • 19% spend their vacation time on family or personal responsibilities including illness, funerals, caring for sick children, or disabled parents
  • 13% spend vacation time going to graduate school, working at another job, or participting in reserve military service
  • 20% are contacted about work matters during vacation time
  • 23% check work email while vacationing

2 comments:

  1. I have realized from my own life experience that most people take a vacation that is more taxing on their mental and physical well-being than their normal work, whether that be formal employment or managing a family. Compressing 85 hours of activity into a week and calling it vacation is just nuts, but that is what I see people do and have experienced myself. How many have heard, or said, "I have to get back to work to rest up from my trip"?

    So some years ago I chose to intentionally designate the entire month of July, which contains my birthday, as a month off. I ride motorcycles in order to eat different food and be with friends I haven't met yet, and would just take off in some direction on July 1st and have a date in mind to return, usually July 29th, with no more than one scheduled event in the period between. This resulted in great adventures, meeting lots of people and eating lots of interesting food. The last two years constraints prohibited the month long trip, but I still tried to stay away from the office.

    I return refreshed and ready to think creatively (what I get paid for) and to help team members exceed their own expectations. I get good feedback from those tasked with managing my efforts, so I guess it works.

    Ironically, the new VP of the area I work in saw my "out of office" message this year that said I'd be out most of the month of July and included instructions on how to reach me by cell and/or email as well as the usual "Please contact Joe Smith for whatever," and commented to my supervisor (with cc to me!) "How the heck does Ron get to take off the month of July?"

    Answer is, of course, is that my employer gives us more than enough days of annual leave to take off a month each year. While most have not learned the value, or have other constraints that prohibit doing so, there should be more leaders that realize the value of team members taking time to restore and refresh - not just to be out of the office for a week. So thanks John for showing us some numbers in support of my method. I hope some leaders read and understand it.

    Besides, it is good practice for retirement!

    ReplyDelete