Search This Blog

Friday, July 26, 2013

Attitude Is Everything


Two shoe salesmen were given a new territory on a Pacific island. Immediately upon arrival, the first sales­man placed an urgent call to the home office:  "Get me out of here. No one on this island wears shoes."
The second salesman sent an email request to the factory, "Please put everybody on overtime. Will need as many shoes as you can manufacture. No one on this island has any shoes."
Attitude determines the difference between shoed or shoeless. Attitude is more critical than events. It's more significant than what's happened or what's hap­pening. Attitude is more consequential than the past, than genetics, than education, than money. Attitude is more important than what other people think...or say...or do. It is more important than appearance or tal­ent. Attitude will make or break an individual, a home, a company, or a country.
Because attitude determines whether we are happy or unhappy, fulfilled or empty, the positive perspective assures us that we can never fail. A hopeful attitude guarantees internal success. Attitude-the altitude adjuster-determines whether we fly high or low, crash or soar, glide or slide.
A couple of days ago I had a pity party. I became upset with everything and everybody. Suddenly I felt ashamed. I wasn't any better than a spoilsport. I rebuked myself:  "Anybody can have a positive attitude when things are going well. It's how you act when things are going badly that determines the strength of your character. An appropriate attitude means feeling hopeful in challenging times. Stop feeling sorry for yourself. Count your blessings. Look for the good."
I shared my insight with a friend who, later that day, gave me a adhesive label to place on my bathroom mirror. Now whenever I shave, brush my teeth, or comb my hair, I see the message: Attitude is Everything. This little reminder helps me tidy up my point of view.

No comments:

Post a Comment