Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Islam's Culture Contributions


Regular readers know that I lift weights with two other guys. I call us the Three Muscleteers, although their testosterone toned strength turns heads while I am a 199-pound weakling, a Charles Atlas reject. Nonetheless I like the name (even though no one laughs at the witty expression except me) so I’ve stuck with it.

Being very proud of the long hours of research I put in on A Brief History of Islam I sent the link to the two muscleteers. The next day as the three of us drove to the Weight Club neither mentioned receiving the blog. Finally I asked what they thought about the entry expecting to get praise for a fantastic, very, very smart summary (maybe I’ve been watching Donald Trump too much).

Instead Michael said he thought the writing reflected a Christian perspective. “Christian perspective!” I yelled, going into a harangue about how the blog epitomized factual reporting, contained no inflammatory remarks, and showed no bias in the hot spot Middle East section.

“What did you think Mike?” I asked the brawny other half sitting in the back seat.

“Well John sometimes we can’t comprehend our prejudices," Mike replied while I sat stupefied by the unexpected comments.

That night I reconsidered. After all I am a Christian and I know that the grace of Jesus Christ offers love, joy, peace and salvation. So I am biased.

After admitting my predilection to prejudice I began to contemplate Islam's contributions to civilization. Here, then, out of respect for the muscleteers I bring you the rest of the story.

Following the death of Mohammad a great wave of Islamic expansion swept over Asia, Africa and Europe.  When Muhammad died in 632 Islam's authority extended over little more than one-third the Arabian Peninsula.  Within a hundred years of Muhammad’s death Islam dominated half of the civilized world.

The conquerors were lenient.  Jews and Christians permitted to retain their own beliefs and customs lived unmolested in the Islamic empire for centuries.

Islamic culture left a splendid legacy of original discoveries and achievements:  
  • Astronomy, mathematics, physics, chemistry and medicine advanced under Islam.  
  • Europe adapted the Arabic system of numerals. 
  • Muslims expanded algebra and trigonometry beyond Hellenistic times.
  • They developed optics and the compass.
  • Muslims found uses for alum, borax, sulfuric acid and sodium carbonate.  
  • Muslims made paper.
  • They developed the art of weaving pile carpeting and rugs and making brocaded silks and tapestries.  
  • Muslims inlaid metal work, enameled glassware and painted pottery.  
  • They improved farming techniques, terraced slopes and irrigated barren land.  
  • They produced cotton, flax, silk, rice, wheat, spinach, asparagus, apricots, peaches, olives, banana, coffee and oranges.
  • The songs of the troubadours and love poetry of medieval France were directly inspired by Muslim writings.  
  • The Book of the Arabian Nights influenced Boccaccio and Chaucer.   
  • The medical writings of Avicenna became the authoritative work in Europe until the late seventeenth century.  
  • Medical progress included the description of smallpox, tuberculosis, stomach cancer, eye infections, pleurisy and a variety of nervous conditions.  
  • The spread of disease through contamination of water and soil were described.  
  • Under the Muslims commerce and manufacturing grew to an extraordinary degree.  
  • Muslims developed checks, receipts, bills of lading, letters of credit, trade associations and stock companies.  
  • They developed domes, minarets, horseshoe arches and built magnificent cities.
One final note: Every night I pray for the radical Islamic terrorist: “Lord please forgive the terrorist and open their hearts to receive your grace.” This petition presents difficulties for me but it follows Christ’s command to forgive our enemies and pray for those who persecute us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment