Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 23, 2016

You Never Know What a Call May Bring


Two decades ago I gave motivational talks. Following 911 several of my presentations were cancelled thus ending my word-of-mouth marketing. A busy psychiatric practice and hospital duties drained the enthusiasm for rebooting. I was soon forgotten by meeting planners.

Somewhere along the way I lost a fourteen page booklet, The 3% Solution: Proven Techniques for Rising to the Top During Times of Change, containing pearls of wisdom that I had labored over for many an hour. I couldn't find the computer disk either. I combed the filing cabinets and storage bins, the closets and book shelves. No joy.

Heartbroken is too strong a word. Devastated–too melodramatic. Frustrated, perhaps, is the best word to explain my disappointment in losing valued material much of which hadn't been duplicated in other booklets or handouts I had developed.

Then Vance Proctor called. He had heard me speak 25 years ago, we figured. In rummaging through some old files he can across The 3% Solution and decided to look me up and call.

Vance's booming voice, cheery and optimistic, announced the Texan I had met a quarter of a century ago. We agreed that the Texas we knew then was not the Texas we know now. Because we can't hit life's pause button our memories become more special day by passing day. 

Soon we got around to the presentation of long ago. After I told Vance of my loss he agreed to mail a copy. It arrived today. 

Here's an ounce or two of the 3% solution:
  • Character Builders: Those Characteristics that Enable You to Love, Work and Enjoy life:
    • Altruism––earning your neighbor's love by inspiring good will, gratitude, respect and happiness through service to others.
    • Suppression––solving problems instead of ruminating about them.
    • Sublimation––channeling frustration and anger into productive work.
    • Anticipation––goal directed planning.
    • Humor––a twinkle-in-the-eye kindness to yourself and others.
    • Wisdom––by studying the scriptures and reading the classics we learn the consequences of bad behavior and the blessings of virtuous living. 
    • Integrity––the answers to three questions asked of you (from Lou Holtz):
      • Can I trust you?: Always do what is right.
      • Do you care about me?: Follow the Golden Rule.
      • Are you committed to excellence?: Always do the best you can in all that you do.
After receiving the package from Vance I wrote back, concluding with these words:

Thanks for responding to that  inner voice suggesting that you make an "out of the blue" phone call. Your call was not only a pleasure to receive but I got a bonus gift that I thought was gone forever. When we listen to that quiet whisper from the Holy Spirit miraculous events occur. 

*********************************************************************************
BTW: If you'd like to hear a funny talk loaded with stories and packed with useful information give me a call. 

No comments:

Post a Comment